Recruitment selection process
The selection process is not always a linear process. Undertaking a stage of the selection process is not an indication that an applicant has passed the previous stage(s).
The stages of this process may occur concurrently due to time constraints and prison operational programming.
Furthermore, the testing stage is conducted when sufficient applications are received.
Success will depend on demonstrating highest merit and best potential for the job, rated against the job and person
requirements, and compared with the other applicants against each stage of the selection process.
Stage one - the application process
Applications will only be accepted if they include all of the following:
- completed and signed Application Pack
- certified copy of Driver’s Licence
- passport sized photograph
- certified copy of valid Senior First Aid Certificate identifying unit of competency HLTFA301B,
HLTFA301C, HLTAID003 or equivalent
- certified copy of full Australian birth certificate, or
- certified copy of Australian Citizenship certificate, or
- Certified copy of Australian Permanent Residency status
- certified copy of any change of name documentation such as Marriage Certificate or Divorce Papers
- certified copy of your Pre-Employment Correctional Officer Recruitment Test Results (conducted
by TAFE SA).
Stage two - screening of applications
The department reviews all applications. Suitable candidates will notified of their selection and will progress to the next stage of selection.
Stage three - testing
There will be additional testing run by DCS.
- an IQ Test
- Independent Psychological Assessment to identify suitability for Correctional Officer role.
Stage four - selection interview by a panel
There will be an interview as part of the process.
Stage five - general employment probity Screening
We will be carrying out all necessary character suitability checks including a Police Record check.
Stage six - pre-employment medical examination and functional capability evaluation
There will be a medical examination by a health professional and a fitness test.
Stage seven - work referencing checking
Previous employers will be asked for a reference.
Stage eight - review, decision, approval
A panel will make a recommendation based on the results of the previous stages.
Stage nine - offer of employment
Congratulations - you made it this far. The next stage is to begin your training.